Monday, May 28, 2007

crossroads...

well, this time, i don't feel like crying, but anyone losing 300gigs of stuff can understand the situation.. a channel must have seriously overloaded, can't even power on the 200gig.. the 100gig only has 600MB of data off of it.. weirdness. oh well. at least my media drive is intact..

only a couple of weeks ago, mike mentioned almost losing a ton of photos.. i've backed up all my photo stuff x2 + DVDs, but is that really secure? if anyone hasn't backed up stuff, the moral of the story: make regular, redundant backups.. anyone a raid expert?

i'd love to go purely apple/mac, but it's hard to make the crossover at this point.. too many applications.. but the one concern: is it a power/hardware related problem (ie is the motherboard damaged? will it cause more problems?)

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'd talk to Joe.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh noes....

... I'm using Handy Backup (www.handybackup.com NOT .net!) ... secure FTP to my 200GB dreamhost website.

Syncs specific folders to my Mac, then does a daily backup via secure FTP, a weekly backup goes into a different directory, then finally a monthly backup.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I use raid on my desktop and my server. I have a copy of files on both.
I'm looking to get an external networked hard drive with raid too.

1:59 AM  
Blogger DragonX said...

I'm pretty lucky that I haven't lost important data since early high school, and HDs were a lot smaller then.

In University I tried to store a copy on a server somewhere, but stuff ballooned once I got a camera.

I store photos/music on DVD, and I keep a separate fileserver with RAID1 that I try to keep a copy of all my data on. Gigabit ethernet means accessing files on the server is practically as fast as accessing it locally.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

interesting, thatnks guys for your thoughts.. probably do RAID mirror at least.. and look into a file server or SAN drive or something.

5:11 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Duh.. that sux! I've been relying on a Maxtor 100 GB USB for a while, and had been disciplined in backing up my photos to CD-R and DVD-R (multiple copies), but haven't done that in a year.

Just bought a DVD writer, and I have a NAS RAID box sitting on my desk (D-Link DNS-323). Was supposed to have bought 2 750GB drives for that box this past weekend, but the Seagate drives I'm waiting for haven't come in yet (and it's so much cheaper getting them states-side than here in Bangkok)

AND I need to buy a 220V power-brick for my Gigabit Ethernet switch (to attach to my docking station, the NAS drive, and wireless hub). Forget backing up at 54 Mbps. But even that's better than not backing up at all!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing is immune to failure. Macs fail, so do raids. And raids are usually more complex to recover off.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home